Notifications
Clear all

Losing your hair  

Sharon44
(@sharon44)

Hi lovely community. I am in menopause now completely and I've started to lose large handfuls of hair. I've always lost a bit of hair and it has fluctuated during different times of my life, but the amount I'm losing right now is alarming. I'm wondering if anyone else is suffering this and whether you know of any particular remedies. I'm not taking HRT, mainly because my breasts used to hurt so much when I went on the contraception pill and was never able to use it - it has put me off trying it, but I don't want to lose all my hair! Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you

Topic starter Posted : 04/09/2020 10:02 am
Topic Tags
Pauline Madden
(@pauline1966)

Oh no Sharon.  I haven't experienced anything like this.  Have you tried your GP for any advice?  I'm not sure if there are any shampoos out there for ladies in menopause to revive or help with this. May be worth looking into. Obviously our hormones change dramatically and this can impact on so many things.  Sorry I can't be of any more help but hopefully you can get some advice.  xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2020 8:26 pm
Sharon44 liked
jllor2068
(@jllor2068)

Hi @Sharon. 

I had complete hair loss in patches. I was fortunate that my loss was under the numerous layers of hair that I have. I was however completely bald in these large patches for over 8 months. Talking to various hairdressers no one at the time put it down to the menopause as it coincided with other really stressful things on in my life. It was when a good friend said to me, look Jayne, it is what it is, your hormones are all out of wack, stressing over it is energy you dont have to waste. Treat yourself to a really good and relaxing self head massage everytime you think about it and especially when shampooing. My hair started to grow back and I havent looked back since, Yes my hair does fill the brush perhaps more than most but then I do have layers of it. So my philosophy is to relax, seek medical or pharmaceutical advise where necessary and massage your scalp to get that circulation going. Even if this doesn't entirely do the trick for you, it is a lovely treat for the scalp and who doesnt need a treat every now and again x

This post was modified 6 months ago by jllor2068
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2020 9:11 pm
Sharon44 liked
Woodhamsj
(@woodhamsj)

Hi Sharon.  I have recently started to loose alot of hair too.  Luckily, I have thick hair but it is not normal for me.  At first, I thought it was because I've gone blonder recently. However, I also started feeling extremely tired too, unexplained weight gain and really dry skin.  I remember a couple of my friends in their 50's who were diagnosed with an under active thyroid gland.  I googled this and it is common for menopausal women.  In fact, one in four menopausal women will have some grade of under active thyroid.  I googled the top 10 symptoms and I have 8 of them!  One of the symptoms is hair loss! I have booked a blood test for Tuesday.  I'll let you know how I get on. Take care.x

Jan Woodhams

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2020 9:48 pm
Sharon44 liked
Sharon44
(@sharon44)

@pauline1966

Thanks for your response Pauline. I did go to get some organic shampoo and I think it has helped a little bit, but not enough. I think a massage of the scalp might be good to get the circulation going too.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/09/2020 9:45 am
Sharon44
(@sharon44)

@jllor2068

Oh no that must have been scary - thank goodness you have thick hair! Such an interesting take on it - thanks for sharing.  I think anxiety/stress does have a lot to do with it and we're all living in quite stressful times right now so it could very well be something to do with that. I like your self-nurturing approach and I know that sometimes life can be all doing and very little time to actually give ourselves some TLC so will definitely set aside some time for that.  Thanks for responding.xx

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/09/2020 9:49 am
Sharon44
(@sharon44)

@woodhamsj 

Very interesting Jan and something I'd never thought of. I have a blood test next Thursday and they're going to check everything including the thyroid. I didn't even have to ask, the Dr just said - yeah we'll test everything. I'll probably walk out of there looking grey lol! 

Let me know how you get on too.xx

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/09/2020 9:52 am
Woodhamsj
(@woodhamsj)

@sharon44Hola Sharon! Como Estas?

I had my blood test today. Results should be back by Monday. It’s great your GP is testing for other things. I’ll share my results next week! If they are negative, I will have to starve! 🤣🤣x

Jan Woodhams

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2020 8:39 pm
Woodhamsj
(@woodhamsj)

Just thought I’d let you all know that my thyroid test was normal which means I must up the exercise and reduce the late night snacking! 😂. On a positive, I’ve noticed that as my anxiety is improving... thank god for meditation.... my hair loss has significantly reduced. My daughter is suffering with hair loss too. The GP said it would be linked to her anxiety. She’s only 18 so not menopausal! X

Jan Woodhams

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 9:17 am
jllor2068
(@jllor2068)

@woodhamsj glad your thyroid results are clear and the hair loss is improving. Massaging the scalp certainly improves things for me so maybe give it a go. Certainly seems coincidental both you and your daughter getting it so if things dont improve push for further investigations if you feel the gp is being dismissive. It's all to easy for them to put physical symptoms down to stress which I'm not saying it isnt the cause but may not be and I know I'm speaking for all the ladies on here when I say that sometimes we have to push to be heard whether its menopause related or not. Hugs and positive thoughts x Jayne x

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 7:32 pm
Woodhamsj
(@woodhamsj)

@jllor2068 thanks for the advice Jayne. Hope you are ok. X

Jan Woodhams

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 9:34 pm
Sharon44
(@sharon44)

@woodhamsj Glad it came back normal Jan. Mine did too so no problems there. "Probably hormones" is what my Dr said! 🙄 Which doesn't help me much. She did say that I was on the borderline with regards to vitamin B12 and funnily enough I Googled it and it is a factor to consider https://www.hairclub.com/blog/can-vitamin-b12-deficiency-cause-hair-loss/

I agree about the meditation though. I meditate regularly and it's a real necessity in my life. Stress is the cause of so many ailments but the cause of stress is highlighted when you bring in the balance of stillness. You become more aware of the stress factors and then you're able to do something about them. If that doesn't work I'm off to the wig shop 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/10/2020 6:07 am
Share:

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This